Monday, October 1, 2012

Intralipid Infusion - suppressing those NK Cells

A fairly new entrant into the world of fertility treatment seems to be the Intralipid Infusion. Early studies have shown encouraging success rates: Check this article out.

From my (minimal) research I understand that Intralipid is a sterile fat emulsion containing soya oil, egg lecithin and glycerol. It has been used for years as a nutritional supplement for very ill people. At some stage someone realised that Intralipids suppressed the immune system. Someone then said "Hey, maybe this will suppress NK cells enough in affected women to allow an embryo to implant without the NK cells trying to kill it off." Hey presto, it seems to work.

You can also have an IVIG infusion (intravenous immunoglobulin) - but at a much higher cost. Intralipid is the cheaper, synthetic version and, while not suitable in all cases (some need the IVIG), it is being used as a part of IVF treatment protocols with pretty good success rates.

Dr M's secretary books me in for my infusion on Friday 28/9 (CD 9). I arrive at the hospital at 2pm. By 3pm I am hooked up to my intravenous line and have about 2 litres of Hartmann's solution pumping though to hydrate me while I wait for the good doctor to arrive with my Intralipids. He is running late and arrives at about 5.30pm to hook me up. The Intralipids looks like a glass bottle full of milk. It's quite strange to see this white fluid pumping directly into your veins. The start the infusion quite slowly but speed it up after the first hour, then again after 2 hours. All up it takes about 6 house to infuse. They follow this with another 300ml or so of Hartmann's to flush the line through and I'm free to leave the hospital at about 12.15am. If I have another one (which I will if I get a BFP) I think I'll just stay overnight, as the 50 minute drive home at that time was no fun.

I did not experience any side effects. I did feel quite tired the next couple of days, but that may just be the IVF drug cocktail I'm on.

The Dr fee for this was $650, plus a $500 excess for my health insurance fund. I'm not sure of the cost of the actual bottle of Intralipids. I believe (although yet to confirm) that at least 2 more infusions would be recommended if a viable pregnancy is achieved. 

As a side note, the lady in the bed next to me was having an IVIG infusion which cost her $2250, plus excess for health insurance fund. She had been told by Dr M that she would require 5-6 further treatments if she gets a BFP. IVIG is a blood product and is a lot more expensive than Intralipids. It is the best option for specific immune issues, obviously determined the the treating Dr. 

No comments:

Post a Comment